We are highly committed at Hospital Clínica Bíblica to care for the environment when providing hospital services. This is reflected in activities inside the organization, as well as those directed to promote these practices in the Community. Some of the activities are:
There are 2 community recycling nodes which have been made available to our neighbors for disposal of their recyclable waste. This waste is subsequently sent to formal recycling processes. The above allows neighbors to deposit Tetra Brick, plastic and aluminum containers in these disposal sites, thus securing their real transformation into new materials that can be used.
These processes involve the neighbors and relatives of our employees, who are invited to get to know and participate in these Hospital initiatives, including:
- Reuse of rainwater: there are tanks for collection of rainwater, which are used in processes such as washing of ramps, sanitary services, and washing of vehicles.
- Use of waterless urinals, with a special device that permits not to use water for the cleaning thereof.
- Water-saving sanitary services: some of the sanitary services in the Hospital use 6 liters of water per flush, when such services use up to double that amount for flushing purposes.
- Mechanical and/or touch-free faucets to reduce the use of water when washing hands. Many facilities at the Hospital already have this type of devices which allow for better control over the water consumption that takes place at the institution.
- Educational reforestation campaigns. We have conducted several educational campaigns since 2008, with the idea of promoting these values, not only among the Hospital employees, but also among their relatives and neighbors.
- Processes for reduction of CO2 equivalent emissions, by means of the employment of solar panels to replace the use of LP gas to heat the water used at the Hospital. We use 24 solar panels that permit to use the energy of the sun, thus replacing and reducing the use of LP gas, and contributing to a reduction of the carbon fingerprint of approximately 8 tons per year.
- Information to our virtual Community with regard to the emissions reduced by means of our solar panels, which have been duly calibrated.
These fairs enjoy the participation of our neighbors and companies related to the Hospital. There are presentations of electronic waste collection processes, recycling processes, and other educational processes, including participative lectures. The fairs are also devoted to lectures directed to create awareness of the rational use of drinking water, renewable energies, and composting processes using food waste. These fairs permit to educate and promote sustainable cultures among our employees, as well as their relatives and neighbors.
These programs are directed to teach good practices of reuse of organic waste. The Hospital has acquired a Swedish composting machine which permits to develop the composting process using organic waste from the kitchen. This is a process that not only minimizes contamination but also permits to deliver compost bags to employees and neighbors, who may reuse the compost in turn as fertilizer, thus becoming a positive educational process in our hospital environment.